Old May 9th 12, 09:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Ta,king the PIS at East Putney

I went to Putney today to deal with various matters to do with my late
mother's estate. On the way back I arrived at East Putney to see the next
train advertised as "City train" in 5 minutes. After a few minutes it
changed to 1 minute and an Edgware Road train was added due in 5 minutes. So
I thought I would let the first train go and get the Edgware Road train to
Notting Hill Gate, on my way to Liverpool St.

I wasn't therefore paying attention at first when the train arrived and
didn't see the front of it. As it pulled up I looked at the side of it and
thought "hang on, that's C stock; it can't be a City train" and jumped on
it, just in time.

But why did the PIS get so confused? And what will we do when the S stock is
all in service? It will all look the same then.

I chose the Notting Hill Gate route because it was what the Journey Planner
suggested. In all my years I have never thought of that as the fastest route
between Liverpool St and East Putney. Has the Central Line been accelerated
enough recently to make a difference?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old May 9th 12, 11:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2012 16:31:21 -0500,
wrote:

I went to Putney today to deal with various matters to do with my late
mother's estate. On the way back I arrived at East Putney to see the next
train advertised as "City train" in 5 minutes. After a few minutes it
changed to 1 minute and an Edgware Road train was added due in 5 minutes.
So I thought I would let the first train go and get the Edgware Road
train to Notting Hill Gate, on my way to Liverpool St.

I wasn't therefore paying attention at first when the train arrived and
didn't see the front of it. As it pulled up I looked at the side of it
and thought "hang on, that's C stock; it can't be a City train" and
jumped on it, just in time.

But why did the PIS get so confused? And what will we do when the S stock
is all in service? It will all look the same then.

Who knows why the PIS was confused - there might have been a last
minute change of route at Wimbledon; the system may hold the
timetabled info until it registers an approaching train or there may
simply be a glitch somewhere given the interaction between LU and NR
systems. Note I'm just guessing - I've no way of knowing if there is
a problem.

The SSL PIS systems do seem particularly limited, particularly disappointing
with the fairly recent improvements at Earl's Court.

On your second point you'll learn to look at the displays on the side
of the train. That's what I do with 09 stock if I miss the front of
the train. Alternatively you get on and listen to the announcements /
look at the display and then get off at an appropriate point if its
not your train. That's hardly a hardship on the Wimbledon branch.

Announcements? They don't do them at East Putney. Or will the signalling be
replaced before the S7 stock is fully introduced?

I chose the Notting Hill Gate route because it was what the Journey
Planner suggested. In all my years I have never thought of that as the
fastest route between Liverpool St and East Putney. Has the Central Line
been accelerated enough recently to make a difference?

Not that I am aware of. The last acceleration was a few years ago but
the trains do shift. It's certainly faster than a drag along the sub
surface lines.

Perhaps "recently" was the wrong choice of word by me. I think your answer
to my question is probably "Yes". I've used the Central so little since the
92TS was introduced it never occurred to me that this route could be the
fastest. The Underground Map distortions of geography won't have helped
either.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old May 10th 12, 09:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote in message

wrote:

[...]

I think Paul was probably referring to the announcements on the train. The
new S stock have the scrolling PIS and announcements on board.

Old May 10th 12, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
(Paul Corfield) wrote:

On Wed, 09 May 2012 18:46:10 -0500,

wrote:

wrote:

[...]

Well yes but that is true on many lines. There will only be a step
change when lines get upgraded signalling and control systems. After
many months of very unreliable DMIs on the Vic Line they now work very
well because they talk to a new system that knows where the trains are.

On your second point you'll learn to look at the displays on the side
of the train. That's what I do with 09 stock if I miss the front of
the train. Alternatively you get on and listen to the announcements /
look at the display and then get off at an appropriate point if its
not your train. That's hardly a hardship on the Wimbledon branch.

Announcements? They don't do them at East Putney. Or will the signalling
be replaced before the S7 stock is fully introduced?

On the new trains is what I meant. They have visual and audio
information that is all part and parcel of the new trains.

Standing on the platform one can't hear the announcements inside the trains
IME. I agree the signs on the train sides are helpful if I catch one. The
advantage of the different types of stock is that one doesn't have to see a
particular location on a car to get the destination. And the D stock signs
say "District Line" half the time, not much use.

The signalling will be replaced after the trains come into service so
improvements to the platform info will (almost certainly) follow the
signalling replacement.

And the NR signalling even further into the future?

I chose the Notting Hill Gate route because it was what the Journey
Planner suggested. In all my years I have never thought of that as the
fastest route between Liverpool St and East Putney. Has the Central
Line been accelerated enough recently to make a difference?

Not that I am aware of. The last acceleration was a few years ago but
the trains do shift. It's certainly faster than a drag along the sub
surface lines.

Perhaps "recently" was the wrong choice of word by me. I think your
answer to my question is probably "Yes". I've used the Central so little
since the 92TS was introduced it never occurred to me that this route
could be the fastest. The Underground Map distortions of geography won't
have helped either.

Ah well the Central Line did get a mini upgrade a few years ago which
switched on the faster acceleration and braking functionality. Trains
do tend to run faster and it's not unusual to see trains accelerating
into platforms and then braking smoothly.

Right. I'd forgotten about it as I've used the line so rarely. It is
perpendicular to most of my journeys.

--
Colin Rosenstiel