Old September 13th 12, 11:24 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Someone Somewhere Someone Somewhere is offline

Default TfL To Remove Roadside Ticket Machines For Buses

On 13/09/2012 12:13, d wrote:
On Thu, 13 Sep 2012 04:05:42 -0700 (PDT)
Paul wrote:
Just noticed this on the TfL website

https://consultations.tfl.gov.uk/bus...d/consult_view

Reason given is that very few (approx 1%) of bus journeys involve a cash fare.

Very few people pay by cash because the *******s at TfL racked up the cash
fare to a ridiculous amount compared to paying by Oyster precisely to
discourage people paying that way. Now they have the gall to say , oh , not
many people want to pay by cash so we'll get rid of that service! Talk about
self serving bull****.

Wow - such vitriole over a policy that was developed to speed up
services in London for those of us who live there! It's not like having
an Oyster card is that much of a hardship, and nor is it like the credit
on it expires if unused.

And before you bring in tourists and occasional travellers, I'm fairly
sure up to date guide books have some decent information about Oyster
and the ability to pay cash fares, at a justifiable premium for the
delay they cause other passengers (80 people on a double decker delayed
for 15 seconds each by someone fumbling for their change is a cumulative
20 minutes waste of time for which they are being charged 95p, or
considerably less than 50% of minimum wage), is going to continue to exist.