Old September 30th 12, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive Clive is offline

Default Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

In message , Nick Leverton
writes
Thanks Clive, most interesting. Was Charing Cross (later Strand) just
a two platform terminus prior to then ? I probably have it in a book
somewhere but not got that one

I have just read the book through and it makes references to where the
two lines were vertically arranged, so it's my assumption that this was
not so. Further, references are made to right had running at certain
points so I gather it didn't happen here. The Charing Cross station
roof collapsed on 5/12/1905, meaning that there was no need for taxis
for a few months so permission was granted and the surface was opened
for a period of 6 weeks to enable to construct the booking and one
complete lift shaft. The booking hall floor was 12 feet under the cab
stand and the bottom of the shaft was 73ft, which I am guessing (don't
know) was the depth from the booking hall floor. The winding gear
being at the bottom of the shaft as there was no overhead clearance.
The book simply says that the bottom of the shaft was driven to the
tunnels so I can only assume that the station Called Charing Cross,
later Strand was formed below the forecourt and mainline station as a
level pair, but again this is simple deduction from what the book
doesn't say. I'm sorry that I can't tell you any more.
--
Clive