Old September 30th 12, 04:12 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Strange track layout at Moorgate Northern?

In article ,
Clive wrote:
In message , Nick Leverton
writes
There was an earlier loop at Charing Cross. You know .. the terminus
of the CCE&H.

To improve the interchange facilities at Charing Cross, the L.E.R.
Promoted a short extension of the Hampstead Tube under Villiers Street
to the Embankment, and work on this was begun in October 1911. The new
line took the form of a single loop under Embankment Gardens and the
fringe of the river from Cleopatra's Needle to Charing Cross Pier,
returning through a single platform built underneath the District
Railway Charing Cross station about 50 yards to the east of the Bakerloo
Embankment station. The District Railway station was rebuilt in
connection with this work to serve as an adequate exchange station for
the three railways.

Quoted from "Sixty Years of the Northern" pages 21 and 22.

Thanks Clive, most interesting. Was Charing Cross (later Strand) just
a two platform terminus prior to then ? I probably have it in a book
somewhere but not got that one

Nick

Old September 30th 12, 07:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Nick Leverton
writes
Thanks Clive, most interesting. Was Charing Cross (later Strand) just
a two platform terminus prior to then ? I probably have it in a book
somewhere but not got that one

I have just read the book through and it makes references to where the
two lines were vertically arranged, so it's my assumption that this was
not so. Further, references are made to right had running at certain
points so I gather it didn't happen here. The Charing Cross station
roof collapsed on 5/12/1905, meaning that there was no need for taxis
for a few months so permission was granted and the surface was opened
for a period of 6 weeks to enable to construct the booking and one
complete lift shaft. The booking hall floor was 12 feet under the cab
stand and the bottom of the shaft was 73ft, which I am guessing (don't
know) was the depth from the booking hall floor. The winding gear
being at the bottom of the shaft as there was no overhead clearance.
The book simply says that the bottom of the shaft was driven to the
tunnels so I can only assume that the station Called Charing Cross,
later Strand was formed below the forecourt and mainline station as a
level pair, but again this is simple deduction from what the book
doesn't say. I'm sorry that I can't tell you any more.
--
Clive