Old October 25th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Denis McMahon[_4_] Denis McMahon[_4_] is offline

Default Things trapped in doors.

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:49:44 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

I was on a Victoria Line train this evening, and about two seconds after
it set off there was an emergency stop. The driver came on the PA with a
very sarcastic comment that "that's what happens when people don't heed
the warnings about getting their personal effects trapped in doors".

But surely the train shouldn't be able to set off at all, in those
circumstances?

It depends on the door edge detection system, and what's triggered the
stop. The stop may have been triggered by someone yanking the trapped
item and triggering the detection system, although I seem to recall
reading in something that may have emanated from either RAIB or industry
that the detection systems are meant to detect down to layers of material
(So 1mm - 5mm ish thicknesses) (possibly this was a future development?)
to prevent people being dragged along platforms by trapped clothes.

Rgds

Denis McMahon