Old October 25th 12, 05:49 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Things trapped in doors.

I was on a Victoria Line train this evening, and about two seconds after
it set off there was an emergency stop. The driver came on the PA with a
very sarcastic comment that "that's what happens when people don't heed
the warnings about getting their personal effects trapped in doors".

But surely the train shouldn't be able to set off at all, in those
circumstances?

Old October 25th 12, 07:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Oct 25, 6:50*pm, Roland Perry wrote:
But surely the train shouldn't be able to set off at all, in those
circumstances?

Is it not that the train can run at a very low speed, and on exceeding
that the brakes come on?

Maybe I'm wrong. Someone with more knowhow is bound to come along in
a mo...

PhilD

Old October 25th 12, 08:16 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Thu, 25 Oct 2012 18:49:44 +0100, Roland Perry wrote:

I was on a Victoria Line train this evening, and about two seconds after
it set off there was an emergency stop. The driver came on the PA with a
very sarcastic comment that "that's what happens when people don't heed
the warnings about getting their personal effects trapped in doors".

But surely the train shouldn't be able to set off at all, in those
circumstances?

It depends on the door edge detection system, and what's triggered the
stop. The stop may have been triggered by someone yanking the trapped
item and triggering the detection system, although I seem to recall
reading in something that may have emanated from either RAIB or industry
that the detection systems are meant to detect down to layers of material
(So 1mm - 5mm ish thicknesses) (possibly this was a future development?)
to prevent people being dragged along platforms by trapped clothes.

Rgds

Denis McMahon
Old October 25th 12, 09:28 PM posted to uk.transport.london

--

LU trains trains will simply not take power if the passenger door
circuits are not closed, unless the driver has cut in the interlocking.

(D78s and I think C69s will operate with the cab doors open, and without
the interlocking engaged, though I don't know if the same applies on
other models.)

This principle of door safety is also applicable on many other EMU class
trains, though there are exceptions.

Old October 26th 12, 06:55 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message
, at
12:54:40 on Thu, 25 Oct 2012, PhilD remarked:
But surely the train shouldn't be able to set off at all, in those
circumstances?

Is it not that the train can run at a very low speed, and on exceeding
that the brakes come on?

We set off as normal and after about two seconds slammed to a halt.

Old November 3rd 12, 10:20 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 2012-10-25 20:16:25 +0000, Denis McMahon said:

[...]

The RAIB report on a Vic Line starting with the doors open gives more
detail than you could possibly digest in a single sitting.
http://www.raib.gov.uk/latest_news/n...ren_street.cfm

OT - Australian commuters tilt train to free trapped man Basil Jet[_3_] London Transport 0 August 7th 14 05:16 AM
BBC News: Tube passengers trapped for hours Mizter T London Transport 5 May 31st 06 11:20 PM
Trains Trapped In Depot Sharon & Gordon Thomson London Transport 5 December 30th 03 06:38 PM
Two things Stuart London Transport 13 August 28th 03 07:17 AM
Carsharing, plus other things John Rowland London Transport 0 August 14th 03 09:48 PM