Old November 15th 12, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_2_] Recliner[_2_] is offline

Default Yet another new foot/cycle Thames bridge planned

wrote:
In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

I see there is a plan for a new footbridge between Chelsea Harbour and
Battersea, next to the Overground line Battersea Rail bridge:

Quote:
"Proposals for a new foot and cycle bridge across the Thames - the first
in more than a decade - have been submitted for planning approval.

The white steel bridge would run alongside the existing Battersea Railway
Bridge and mark the Queen's Diamond Jubilee.

Chris Medland, the architect who designed the structure, is hoping to
secure corporate sponsorship similar to the Barclays-backed Boris
Bikes to fund the £22-million project.

The arched construction, known as the Jubilee Footbridge, would run
between Chelsea Harbour and Lombard Road, near Battersea High Street.

It would give commuters easy access to Imperial Wharf station in Fulham
and improve links between the north and south of the river, said Mr
Medland.

He has submitted his plans to Wandsworth and Hammersmith and Fulham
councils for approval and hopes the bridge could be open by 2014.

The last footbridge to open across the Thames was the Millennium Bridge in
2000.

Mr Medland said: "I live in Battersea and have thought for a long time
that we need a new foot and cycle bridge in this location. One was first
proposed as far back as 1924 and with the Jubilee year, I thought it would
be a great way of marking the occasion.

"Battersea and Fulham have become increasingly central and this would be a
brilliant new way of connecting the city and improving cycle and
pedestrian access."

The Jubilee Footbridge would be built at no cost to the taxpayer and would
deliver substantial economic benefits, he claimed.

Richard Tracey, London Assembly member for Merton and Wandsworth, said: "I
think it is a very good idea and the councils are in favour in principle
from discussions I have had with them.

"The footbridge would link Battersea village with Imperial Wharf station
and mean that cyclists and pedestrians would not have to use Wandsworth
road bridge. It's also a beautiful structure."
-- End quote

From

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...footbridge-whi
ch-would-link-chelsea-harbour-and-battersea-8319246.html

I'm a bit surprised that it isn't cheaper to attach a pathway to the side of
the railway bridge, as at Putney Railway Bridge and formerly at Hungerford
Bridge.

Yes, that was my first thought. Presumably Network Rail would have to
sponsor that idea, and would not be interested?