Old November 15th 12, 01:24 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Yet another new foot/cycle Thames bridge planned

I see there is a plan for a new footbridge between Chelsea Harbour and
Battersea, next to the Overground line Battersea Rail bridge:

Quote:
Proposals for a new foot and cycle bridge across the Thames — the first in
more than a decade— have been submitted for planning approval.

The white steel bridge would run alongside the existing Battersea Railway
Bridge and mark the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.

Chris Medland, the architect who designed the structure, is hoping to
secure corporate sponsorship similar to the Barclays-backed Boris Bikes to
fund the £22 million project.

The arched construction, known as the Jubilee Footbridge, would run between
Chelsea Harbour and Lombard Road, near Battersea High Street.

It would give commuters easy access to Imperial Wharf station in Fulham and
improve links between the north and south of the river, said Mr Medland.

He has submitted his plans to Wandsworth and Hammersmith and Fulham
councils for approval and hopes the bridge could be open by 2014.

The last footbridge to open across the Thames was the Millennium Bridge in
2000.

Mr Medland said: “I live in Battersea and have thought for a long time that
we need a new foot and cycle bridge in this location. One was first
proposed as far back as 1924 and with the Jubilee year, I thought it would
be a great way of marking the occasion.

“Battersea and Fulham have become increasingly central and this would be a
brilliant new way of connecting the city and improving cycle and pedestrian
access.â€

The Jubilee Footbridge would be built at no cost to the taxpayer and would
deliver substantial economic benefits, he claimed.

Richard Tracey, London Assembly member for Merton and Wandsworth, said: “I
think it is a very good idea and the councils are in favour in principle
from discussions I have had with them.

“The footbridge would link Battersea village with Imperial Wharf station
and mean that cyclists and pedestrians would not have to use Wandsworth
road bridge. It’s also a beautiful structure.â€
-- End quote

From
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...a-8319246.html

Old November 15th 12, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/11/2012 14:24, Recliner wrote:
[...]

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/london/-8319246.html

Not a bad idea at all, though one can't help but wonder if this anything
much more than one architect's dream at the moment? I suppose all ideas
have to start somewhere - that said, surely someone must have suggested
a pedestrian bridge here before? Must admit I've never come across it if
they have. Though I guess there wasn't all that much on the east (i.e.
'north') side of the railway bridge before the Imperial Wharf developments.

Corporate sponsorship for a bridge, with no cost to the taxpayer...
well, fair play if you can pull that one off. The dangleway was
originally supposed to be a privately funded endeavour, of course it
didn't quite happen like that - one can't help but feel that the the
public money spent on that might have been better spent on projects such
as this, if indeed it was to be spent on 'signature projects' at all
(rather than more mundane but useful stuff).
Old November 15th 12, 02:45 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:
[...]

Apparently a bridge in this area was first suggested back in 1924:
http://www.london24.com/news/footbri...gacy_1_1694759

Corporate sponsorship for a bridge, with no cost to the taxpayer... well,
fair play if you can pull that one off. The dangleway was originally
supposed to be a privately funded endeavour, of course it didn't quite
happen like that - one can't help but feel that the the public money
spent on that might have been better spent on projects such as this, if
indeed it was to be spent on 'signature projects' at all (rather than
more mundane but useful stuff).

It's supposed to cost £22m, much less than the £36m that Emirates is
reported to be paying to sponsor the dangleway for ten years, or about the
same as Barclays pays for five years of Boris-bikes.
Old November 15th 12, 03:46 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 15/11/2012 15:45, Recliner wrote:

Mizter T wrote:

[...]

http://www.london24.com/news/_1_1694759

Thanks - in the back of my muddled mind there's some vague stirring that
I might have come across the notion before, but I dunno!

Corporate sponsorship for a bridge, with no cost to the taxpayer... well,
fair play if you can pull that one off. The dangleway was originally
supposed to be a privately funded endeavour, of course it didn't quite
happen like that - one can't help but feel that the the public money
spent on that might have been better spent on projects such as this, if
indeed it was to be spent on 'signature projects' at all (rather than
more mundane but useful stuff).

It's supposed to cost £22m, much less than the £36m that Emirates is
reported to be paying to sponsor the dangleway for ten years, or about the
same as Barclays pays for five years of Boris-bikes.

No high-profile appearance on the Tube map that the dangleway has, nor
the same level of high visibility around central and parts of inner
London that the cycle hire scheme has. But as I said, fair play if it
could be pulled off!
Old November 15th 12, 08:29 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

[...]

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/londo...footbridge-whi
ch-would-link-chelsea-harbour-and-battersea-8319246.html

I'm a bit surprised that it isn't cheaper to attach a pathway to the side of
the railway bridge, as at Putney Railway Bridge and formerly at Hungerford
Bridge.

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old November 15th 12, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

wrote:
In article
,
(Recliner) wrote:

[...]

Yes, that was my first thought. Presumably Network Rail would have to
sponsor that idea, and would not be interested?
Old November 16th 12, 07:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Perhaps Oyster gates could be installed at each end and pedestrians
charged ten bob to cross over and cyclists a pound. I am sure it would
be a popular crossing.
But I suppose then you have to pay 6 humans a day to stop people
bunking in.