Old November 27th 12, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Nick Leverton Nick Leverton is offline

Default Waterloo Memorial Arch steps

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,
writes

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:36:59 +0000, Peter Lawrence
wrote:

Does anyone know what is happening at the memorial arch entrance to
Waterloo please? About 3/4 of the width is now hidden behind hoardings
and looking through the windows they seem to be digging deep into the
fabric.

Often thought that it is a shame that the entrance is so hemmed in .
It could compare favourably with some of the more well known stations
around the world if you could actually stand back and approach it from
further away.

I think the work is actually to make such a view possible - the
redevelopment of Elizabeth House is allowing the creation of "Victory
Arch Square" in front of the station:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6413

That lower artist's impression reminds me of Spike Milligan's letter
about the redevelopment of (I think it was) Paternoster Square. "And if
you stand and crane your head you can just see the bottom corner of
St. Paul's".

Considering the size and bulk of that new building looming over the sight
line, and also that artists' impressions usually make things look much
better than they turn out, I don't think I shall keep high hopes of this
being to Waterloo's architectural advantage !

Nick