Old November 26th 12, 04:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Waterloo Memorial Arch steps

Does anyone know what is happening at the memorial arch entrance to
Waterloo please? About 3/4 of the width is now hidden behind hoardings
and looking through the windows they seem to be digging deep into the
fabric.

Peter Lawrence

Old November 27th 12, 09:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Paul Terry" wrote in message

I think the work is actually to make such a view possible - the
redevelopment of Elizabeth House is allowing the creation of "Victory Arch
Square" in front of the station:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6413

That is only reporting planning permission granted though...

I understood the OP to be describing work on the actual steps themselves,
surely? In which case maybe they are just being refurbished like for like -
stone steps don't have an infinite life.

Paul S

Old November 27th 12, 09:51 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
Paul Terry wrote:
In message ,
writes

On Mon, 26 Nov 2012 17:36:59 +0000, Peter Lawrence
wrote:

Does anyone know what is happening at the memorial arch entrance to
Waterloo please? About 3/4 of the width is now hidden behind hoardings
and looking through the windows they seem to be digging deep into the
fabric.

Often thought that it is a shame that the entrance is so hemmed in .
It could compare favourably with some of the more well known stations
around the world if you could actually stand back and approach it from
further away.

I think the work is actually to make such a view possible - the
redevelopment of Elizabeth House is allowing the creation of "Victory
Arch Square" in front of the station:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6413

That lower artist's impression reminds me of Spike Milligan's letter
about the redevelopment of (I think it was) Paternoster Square. "And if
you stand and crane your head you can just see the bottom corner of
St. Paul's".

Considering the size and bulk of that new building looming over the sight
line, and also that artists' impressions usually make things look much
better than they turn out, I don't think I shall keep high hopes of this
being to Waterloo's architectural advantage !

Nick
Old November 27th 12, 10:09 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Paul Terry wrote:
I think the work is actually to make such a view possible - the
redevelopment of Elizabeth House is allowing the creation of "Victory
Arch Square" in front of the station:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6413

I'm sure the French will be delighted!

Meanwhile, the French will continue to shaft the UK (and the other
nations who are large net contributors to the EU budget) by insisting
that the Common Agricultural Policy must never be reformed. It was of
course the claimed promise of CAP reform that Tony Bliar used to
justify giving away £7 billion of the UK's budget rebate in 2005.

Indeed, some of the older subscribers to the is newsgroup might recall
that CAP reform was promised in 1972 when the UK was negotiating to
join the Common Market. 40 years later, it hasn't happened and likely
never will.

Old November 27th 12, 11:06 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 27/11/2012 11:09, Anthony Polson wrote:

Paul Terry wrote:
I think the work is actually to make such a view possible - the
redevelopment of Elizabeth House is allowing the creation of "Victory
Arch Square" in front of the station:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6413

I'm sure the French will be delighted!

Meanwhile, the French will continue to shaft the UK (and the other
nations who are large net contributors to the EU budget) by insisting
that the Common Agricultural Policy must never be reformed. It was of
course the claimed promise of CAP reform that Tony Bliar used to
justify giving away £7 billion of the UK's budget rebate in 2005.

Indeed, some of the older subscribers to the is newsgroup might recall
that CAP reform was promised in 1972 when the UK was negotiating to
join the Common Market. 40 years later, it hasn't happened and likely
never will.

Sorry, but that's a pathetically tenuous link for a quite irrelevant rant.

(Cue a reply telling me why it's totally relevant to my life and the
life of every other Brit, or some such!)
Old November 27th 12, 11:37 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Mizter T wrote:

Sorry, but that's a pathetically tenuous link for a quite irrelevant rant.

Thank you! :-)

Old November 28th 12, 08:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Paul Scott
writes
"Paul Terry" wrote in message

I think the work is actually to make such a view possible - the
redevelopment of Elizabeth House is allowing the creation of "Victory
Arch Square" in front of the station:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/6413

That is only reporting planning permission granted though...

True, but according to http://elizabethhousewaterloo.co.uk/delivery.htm
the demolition of Elizabeth House (which abuts the Victory Arch) is due
to start before the end of this year.

In addition, the OP mentioned that the work appears to be cutting deep
into the fabric of the arch. I wonder if this might be preliminary work
for the new step-free access to Waterloo International, which it appears
will be cut through the currently blank north face of the arch in the
picture on the front of:
elizabethhousewaterloo.co.uk/pdf/elizabeth_house_newsletter2.pdf
--
Paul Terry
Old November 28th 12, 07:48 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 28/11/2012 09:38, Paul Terry wrote:

In addition, the OP mentioned that the work appears to be cutting deep
into the fabric of the arch. I wonder if this might be preliminary work
for the new step-free access to Waterloo International, which it appears
will be cut through the currently blank north face of the arch in the
picture on the front of:
elizabethhousewaterloo.co.uk/pdf/elizabeth_house_newsletter2.pdf

What I had meant was that the work cut deep into the fabric of the
flight of steps. However I can accept that the work is in preparation
for the new entrance, particularly if it involves a lift down to the
subway level as well as up to the concourse.

Incidentally the previously cited descriptions of the new square are
misleading in not showing the step-free entrance (and in showing York
Road and the Approach Road as traffic-free?)

Peter Lawrence