Old January 3rd 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london
77002 77002 is offline

Default Boris on his new trainset

On 3 Jan, 10:26, "Richard J." wrote:
e27002 wrote on 02 January 2013 19:04:48 ....

On 2 Jan, 14:42, mirandola
wrote:
Hammersmith had its own artistic colony down by the river. AP Herbert's "House by the River" (turned into a great film by Fritz Lang) was based on the area he himself lived in. Gustav Holst lived there and wrote a "Hammersmith Suite."

In the late 1960s I worked in Hammersmith for a year. *The atmosphere
by the river was special. *It was quite different from King St 1, one
block back. *I do not know if the River walk with its pubs has
changed.

It's still special and unchanged, separated from the King Street area by
the A4.

Glad to hear that.

Hammersmith's two stations seemed disjointed. In those days
the buses stopped at Butterwick(sp) right next to the District and
Piccadilly station. *That was very handy, but I have heard that the
facility has gone.

Not exactly, but there are now 17 bus routes through Hammersmith, so the
facilities needed to be expanded. *The routes are split between an upper
bus station above the District & Piccadilly Line station, reached by
escalators, and a lower bus station at ground level by Butterwick.
Seehttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/hammersmith-101112....
--

Thank you. That is very informative. When I left Hammersmith, there
were plans to replace the shops on the north side of King St with a