Old January 2nd 13, 11:17 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

Default Boris on his new trainset

On 2 Jan, 08:26, THC wrote:
On Monday, December 31, 2012 8:41:52 PM UTC, e27002 wrote:
A bored hypocrite, how sad.

Hardly.

Bored? your word not mine.
Hypocrite? if you are really concerned about abuse, you would not
start with the conservatives here. Month after month vile abuse is
hurled by the lovey liberals here, often utilizing the foulest of
language, and yet you are silent. OTOH, my mild sarcasm draws your
ire.

Just posted that to show you how ridiculous your style of reductionist trolling actually appears to others.

Now please, enough with the sniping. You occasionally make interesting points about railway operations but, when the majority of your posts are only digging at other posters' politics, it's far more tempting to just scroll on by.

Scroll on by, do not mistake me for one who gives a damn.

Old January 2nd 13, 05:55 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default London Crossrail 2

On 2 Jan, 16:02, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
15:10:12 on Wed, 2 Jan 2013, Michael Bell
remarked:

Thameslink isn't new - the Thameslink Programme is a comprehensive
upgrade of the route, but it's not a new link.

The upgrade is also more than 15 years late.

I know very well that this route was created in Victorian times, was
unused 1912 - 1985 (hard to believe, but true!) and has been piecemeal
enlarged since then, but the increase in capacity amounts to about as
important a step as Crossrail. Just done with less fuss

You have to be kidding! Northern section truncated at St Pancras for a
year (in the middle of all the rebuilding) and every weekend for even
more years.

and trumpet blowing.

I think they are a bit ashamed of being 15years late.

Let us hope the finished project is all for which we hope. Is the
underpass beyond London Bridge going ahead?

Old January 2nd 13, 06:04 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

On 2 Jan, 14:42, mirandola
wrote:
On Friday, December 28, 2012 12:31:09 PM UTC, Clive D. W. Feather wrote:

In message

,

77002 wrote:

South

of the Thames is a cluster of annexed Surrey and Kentish towns and

villages.

So is much of north of the Thames. Places like Knightsbridge. Kensington

was a place that was difficult to get to because of the state of the

roads. When I was young West Ham was one of the largest towns in Essex.

Hammersmith was a place that rich stockbrokers lived because they liked

to be out in the country - why do you think *three* railways built lines

there from London?

--

Clive D.W. Feather * * * * * * * * *| Home:

Mobile: +44 7973 377646 * * * * * * | Web: *http://www.davros.org

Hammersmith had its own artistic colony down by the river. AP Herbert's "House by the River" (turned into a great film by Fritz Lang) was based on the area he himself lived in. Gustav Holst lived there and wrote a "Hammersmith Suite."

In the late 1960s I worked in Hammersmith for a year. The atmosphere
by the river was special. It was quite different from King St 1, one
block back. I do not know if the River walk with its pubs has
changed. Hammersmith's two stations seemed disjointed. In those days
the buses stopped at Butterwick(sp) right next to the District and
Piccadilly station. That was very handy, but I have heard that the
facility has gone.

Old January 2nd 13, 10:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway
No Name

e27002 wrote:

Let us hope the finished project is all for which we hope. Is the
underpass beyond London Bridge going ahead?

Why wouldn't it? The contract was let about 9 months ago, it's fully
funded and work is underway in a number of areas.

Paul
Old January 3rd 13, 09:26 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

e27002 wrote on 02 January 2013 19:04:48 ...
On 2 Jan, 14:42, mirandola
wrote:

Hammersmith had its own artistic colony down by the river. AP Herbert's "House by the River" (turned into a great film by Fritz Lang) was based on the area he himself lived in. Gustav Holst lived there and wrote a "Hammersmith Suite."

In the late 1960s I worked in Hammersmith for a year. The atmosphere
by the river was special. It was quite different from King St 1, one
block back. I do not know if the River walk with its pubs has
changed.

It's still special and unchanged, separated from the King Street area by
the A4.

Hammersmith's two stations seemed disjointed. In those days
the buses stopped at Butterwick(sp) right next to the District and
Piccadilly station. That was very handy, but I have heard that the
facility has gone.

Not exactly, but there are now 17 bus routes through Hammersmith, so the
facilities needed to be expanded. The routes are split between an upper
bus station above the District & Piccadilly Line station, reached by
escalators, and a lower bus station at ground level by Butterwick.
See
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/...ith-101112.pdf
--
Richard J.

Old January 3rd 13, 11:10 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On 2 Jan, 23:02, wrote:
e27002 wrote:

Let us hope the finished project is all for which we hope. *Is the
underpass beyond London Bridge going ahead?

Why wouldn't it?

It is an expensive piece of new infrastructure. Politicians, and
public servants, are not noted for keeping their promises.

The contract was let about 9 months ago, it's fully
funded and work is underway in a number of areas.

Very glad to hear it.
Old January 3rd 13, 11:13 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

wrote:
Hammersmith had its own artistic colony down by the river. AP Herbert's "House by the River" (turned into a great film by Fritz Lang) was based on the area he himself lived in. Gustav Holst lived there and wrote a "Hammersmith Suite."

In the late 1960s I worked in Hammersmith for a year. *The atmosphere
by the river was special. *It was quite different from King St 1, one
block back. *I do not know if the River walk with its pubs has
changed.

It's still special and unchanged, separated from the King Street area by
the A4.

Glad to hear that.

Seehttp://www.tfl.gov.uk/gettingaround/maps/buses/pdf/hammersmith-101112....
--

Thank you. That is very informative. When I left Hammersmith, there
were plans to replace the shops on the north side of King St with a

Old January 3rd 13, 04:55 PM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

77002 wrote on 03 January 2013 12:13:56 ...

wrote:
[...]

King's Mall, about 50 shops on the ground floor, with flats above, and
two footbridges over the District/Piccadilly (and the LSWR viaduct) to a
multi-storey car park on the north side. Most of the viaduct is still in
place where it runs next to the LU tracks, but has been demolished for
new buildings to the north.

See an aerial photo and other views at
http://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h...ad/index.shtml
Also, Google maps has a new 45º option on the satellite view if you zoom
in close enough.

--
Richard J.
Old January 4th 13, 11:09 AM posted to uk.railway,uk.transport.london

See an aerial photo and other views athttp://www.disused-stations.org.uk/h/hammersmith_grove_road/index.shtml
Also, Google maps has a new 45º option on the satellite view if you zoom
in close enough.

Thank you. That was informative. I will visit the area when I have
the chance.