Old April 9th 04, 07:57 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Clive D. W. Feather Clive D. W. Feather is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

In article , Ian Jelf
writes
By the way, anecdotal evidence suggested that people in wheelchairs
travel free on TfL buses. But none of the drivers (nor one inspector)
were absolutely sure and I couldn't find it written down anywhere. One
driver even said he thought that one helper was carried free as well.
Ideas anyone?

The other day I boarded a bus and the leaflet rack behind the driver
held booklets entitled "A staff guide to ticketing on London's buses"
dated January 2004 (on the back it has the code TfL2586.11.03).

Page 23: Disabled Persons' freedom pass [...] Allows free travel on all
bus services within Greater London, and on a number of bus services
beyond Greater London, operated as part of the London bus network; at
all times.

Page 26: *Any* passenger in a wheelchair can travel free, at any time,
on wheelchair accessible buses. On dual-door vehicles, where the
wheelchair ramp is fitted at the middle doors, passengers in wheelchairs
*must* board/alight through the middle doors only. Only one wheelchair
may be carried at a time. [Emphasis in original.]

Page 26: Other concessionary travel arrangements [...] In certain cases
the pass also allows a companion to travel at concessionary rate - this
is also shown clearly on the pass.

====

Two notes on photographs. Firstly, some passes for blind people require
a photocard with no photo, while others require a normal photo.

Secondly, to quote page 20:

Any female passenger wearing a Burqa or Yashmak can hold a valid
Photocard, that shows the face similarly covered, to support a valid Bus
Pass, Travelcard or LT Card.

Under *no* circumstances should a female passenger be asked to uncover
her face or be refused travel when holding a valid ticket supported by
such a Photocard.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work: