Old April 10th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default How many stations in London?

juvenal wrote:
"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...
I've been wondering how many metro style stations there are in
London. This includes every tube station, the DLR, national rail
lines like the North London line and the south London commuter
lines that are included in the Overground Network. Does anyone
know how many stations there
are, or where I might be able to find out (other than by counting
them all on a map!)?

The LC map provides 687 stations in the index. Substracting the
stations featured outside zone boundaries gives us 594, and
subtracting the Tramlink stops that are not interchanges with
stations leaves a figure of 562. I did this fairly quickly,
multiplying the index columns, and I didn't check two errors I
suspect I made, but it's a total to work on.

Regarding Clive's point, the KX/St.P complex is listed as four
separate stations on the map (KX, St. P, KX Thameslink, and KXSt.P
LU).

Which edition and format is your LC map? Mine is the poster from the LT
Museum shop, dated 9.00, and has just one entry for KXStP on both the
map and the index.
--
Richard J.