Old April 9th 04, 12:45 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default How many stations in London?

I've been wondering how many metro style stations there are in London.
This includes every tube station, the DLR, national rail lines like the
North London line and the south London commuter lines that are included
in the Overground Network. Does anyone know how many stations there
are, or where I might be able to find out (other than by counting them
all on a map!)?

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
I don't have a physical beard, but I feel that my spirit does.

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
There are 20,000,000 women wearing kinky boots.

Old April 9th 04, 07:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , Robin May
writes
I've been wondering how many metro style stations there are in London.
This includes every tube station, the DLR, national rail lines like the
North London line and the south London commuter lines that are included
in the Overground Network.

You'll need to define "metro style", "London", and whether (for example)
you count King's Cross St.Pancras as 1, 2, 3, 4, or 5 stations (and
explain your reasons). Does a station count if it's only served by
long-distance trains and, if so, what is "long"?

Once you've managed that, it might be possible to answer.

--
Clive D.W. Feather, writing for himself | Home:
Fax: +44 870 051 9937 | Work:
Old April 9th 04, 08:14 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Joe Joe is offline

"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...
I've been wondering how many metro style stations there are in London.
This includes every tube station, the DLR, national rail lines like the
North London line and the south London commuter lines that are included
in the Overground Network. Does anyone know how many stations there
are, or where I might be able to find out (other than by counting them
all on a map!)?

Do you mean every station in the London Connections map, or every station in
London Zones?
--
To reply direct, remove NOSPAM and replace with railwaysonline
For Railway Information, News & Photos check out the Award Winning Railways

Old April 9th 04, 09:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote:
I've been wondering how many metro style stations there are in
London. This includes every tube station, the DLR, national rail
lines like the North London line and the south London commuter
lines that are included in the Overground Network. Does anyone know
how many stations there are, or where I might be able to find out
(other than by counting them all on a map!)?

Depending how strict your definition of "metro-style" is, it might be
quicker to count the stations on the London Connections map, and
subtract those that don't qualify. Some London Connections maps have an
index of stations (including the one I bought at the LT Museum shop).

It's not sensible IMO to count only the ON lines in south London, as ON
is at present a pilot scheme covering only 4 services.
--
Richard J.

Old April 9th 04, 10:18 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Robin May wrote in message . 1.4...
I've been wondering how many metro style stations there are in London.
This includes every tube station, the DLR, national rail lines like the
North London line and the south London commuter lines that are included
in the Overground Network. Does anyone know how many stations there
are, or where I might be able to find out (other than by counting them
all on a map!)?

All I can offer is that there are 273 LU stations, some of which are shared with NR.

Brad

Old April 10th 04, 12:56 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...
I've been wondering how many metro style stations there are in London.
This includes every tube station, the DLR, national rail lines like the
North London line and the south London commuter lines that are included
in the Overground Network. Does anyone know how many stations there
are, or where I might be able to find out (other than by counting them
all on a map!)?

--
message by Robin May, enforcer of sod's law.
I don't have a physical beard, but I feel that my spirit does.

"You MUST NOT drive dangerously" - the Highway Code
There are 20,000,000 women wearing kinky boots.

The LC map provides 687 stations in the index. Substracting the stations
featured outside zone boundaries gives us 594, and subtracting the Tramlink
stops that are not interchanges with stations leaves a figure of 562. I did
this fairly quickly, multiplying the index columns, and I didn't check two
errors I suspect I made, but it's a total to work on.

Regarding Clive's point, the KX/St.P complex is listed as four separate
stations on the map (KX, St. P, KX Thameslink, and KXSt.P LU).

Old April 10th 04, 10:22 AM posted to uk.transport.london

juvenal wrote:
"Robin May" wrote in message
.4...
[...]

Which edition and format is your LC map? Mine is the poster from the LT
Museum shop, dated 9.00, and has just one entry for KXStP on both the
map and the index.
--
Richard J.

Old April 10th 04, 01:31 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Richard J." wrote in message

Which edition and format is your LC map? Mine is the poster from the LT
Museum shop, dated 9.00, and has just one entry for KXStP on both the
map and the index.
--
Richard J.

I used the January 2004 edition of the London Connections map - here's the
online viersion:

www.nationalrail.co.uk/info/maps/connections.pdf

Old April 16th 04, 10:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On Sat, 10 Apr 2004, juvenal wrote:

I used the January 2004 edition of the London Connections map - here's
the online viersion:

www.nationalrail.co.uk/info/maps/connections.pdf

Compare and constrast to:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con.pdf

Rail- vs tube-centric views of the system!

tom

--
On Question Time last night, Tony Benn was saying that the way to solve the low turnout at elections was to make voting compulsory. I think the solution is for someone to start a political party that doesn't contain wall-to-wall *******s. -- John Rowland

Old April 17th 04, 09:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

www.nationalrail.co.uk/info/maps/connections.pdf

Compare and constrast to:

http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/pdfdocs/lon_con.pdf

Rail- vs tube-centric views of the system!

I prefer the rail-centric view! The Met/District/Circle/H&C should be
shown as a thick green line though... ;-)