Old February 9th 14, 05:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Industrial (in)action

In article ,
(Robin9) wrote:

;140932 Wrote:
In article
,
(Robin9) wrote:
-
;140895 Wrote: -
In article
,
(Robin9) wrote:--
--
No major football matches this week - that's next week's fun,
including a big match on Wednesday at the ever so slightly public

Presumably First Capital Connect trains will be stopping at Drayton
Park.-

More to the point they will be stopping at Finsbury Park which is
the official station for the Emirates.-

Drayton Park station is literally "round the corner" from the
Emirates Stadium. Finsbury Park station is a long way off.-

That's not the point. Caledonian Road is even closer than Drayton Park
but neither has the capacity to cope with the Emirates crowds. That is
why the travel plans agreed for the new stadium are designed to focus
trips on Finsbury Park.

First, I assume you mean Holloway Road which is closer to one side of the
stadium. Drayton Park is closer to the other side. There are entrances
and exits on both sides.

Yes, my mistake. I usually see it from the ECML approach to King's Cross.

Second, it may be that when the transport arrangements and plans were
originally devised, by people who quite possibly were never going to use
them, they decided upon Finsbury Park for the reasons you've mentioned;
but we're discussing improvised new arrangements by people who want to get
to the stadium by any workable route in difficult circumstances.

Someone travelling by London Overground to Highbury & Islington and
changing there would be ill-advised to chose Finsbury Park instead of
Drayton Park.

The travel plans will have been part of what I know from the leader of
Islington Council of the time was a convoluted planning process for the new
stadium and created in consideration of the potential overloading problems
the stadium could create. Finsbury Park is more accessible, including via
the GNCR so it seems to me the advice to use it is correct.

--
Colin Rosenstiel