Old April 16th 04, 10:58 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Annabel Smyth Annabel Smyth is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 at 20:24:04, Richard J.
wrote:

Complete rubbish. If a wheelchair user needs to access any level other
than ground level, a lift is required. In the event of fire, the lifts
are not available, and people have to use the stairs. In those
circumstances, wheelchair users have to be carried to ground level. The
same applies to tube trains.

I've yet to see a tube train being carried! (Sorry, couldn't resist!)

But on balance I agree; it's a pity, but really the Tube should have
been built 150 years after it was so that the needs of wheelchair users
could have been thought of. As it is, I'm afraid access will always be
rather limited.

Incidentally has anybody actually seen a wheelchair user on a bus yet?
I haven't in this country, although I have in New York; the space
designed for them seems used by young mothers with pushchairs (Oh, how I
envy them; I so remember walking home *miles* in the rain because my
baby was asleep and I would have to wake her to get her out of her
pushchair to get on a bus.....).
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 8 March 2004