Old April 17th 04, 10:53 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default Disabled 'to sue for Tube access'

John Hearns wrote:
On Thu, 15 Apr 2004 20:24:04 +0000, Richard J. wrote:

Complete rubbish. If a wheelchair user needs to access any level
other than ground level, a lift is required. In the event of
fire, the lifts are not available, and people have to use the
stairs. In those circumstances, wheelchair users have to be
carried to ground level. The same applies to tube trains.

Wrong. The lifts on the JLE are clearly marked as firefighting
lifts.
I don't work for the fire brigade or the underground, but I'd
imagine this means they are available during a fire...

Also, if I'm not wrong, there are disabled refuge areas at the
emergency exits, similar to the ones in many cinemas and public
buildings.

Maybe, but I was comparing the situation in a typical office building,
say, where lifts are not available in a fire, with the situation in a
tube *train* (not station) where there is neither refuge nor fireproof
lift.
--
Richard J.