Old June 19th 14, 10:48 AM posted to cam.transport,uk.transport.london

Default What's it(!) with Uber?

In article ,
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2014\06\19 07:53, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 18:40:27
on Wed, 18 Jun 2014, remarked:
South Cambs is a collection of what we call "necklace villages" and
their stations. I'm quite prepared to believe none [village High
Streets
or stations] are big enough to warrant a taxi.

Arguably Whittlesford station would most likely merit a taxi rank. There
might be one of the station forecourt of course. That would be
non-statutory.

NRES says: "Details of nearest taxis are shown on station information
poster".

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/place/...e2ddce18?hl=en

Quite. And we don't know if the driver was using that as a private
car at the time. I could just about believe that, if a taxi driver
were in the vicinity during rush hour, he might drop by to see if
anyone wanted one, but Whittlesford is near-deserted at other times.
Almost all regular users are commuters, who almost never use taxis
(in the sense of looking out for one plying for hire).

Regards,
Nick Maclaren.