Old July 4th 14, 01:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default London Underground has its own binmen

In message , at 14:02:06 on
Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Basil Jet remarked:
Although I never thought about it, I just assumed that LU used the
council's bin-men like everyone else. Why do they have their own? If
it's for cost reasons, that suggests that councils are seriously
overcharging for bin collection. Maybe they don't want to let council
bin-men into secure sites.

The council binmen normally only do residential property. Commercial
properties have to make their own arrangements, and I don't know to what
extent councils would bid for that business; or if that's more or less
likely inside London compared to the provinces. Where I live in the
provinces it's clear that sundry private companies are doing the
commercial collections.

While I somewhat agree that businesses shouldn't have their rubbish
collection bundled free in with their business rates, it does seem to me
to be very un-green to have numerous private bin-emptying companies
running around the country with quite big gaps between their depots and
the customers they are collecting from.