Old July 4th 14, 02:02 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default London Underground has its own binmen

Although I never thought about it, I just assumed that LU used the
council's bin-men like everyone else. Why do they have their own? If
it's for cost reasons, that suggests that councils are seriously
overcharging for bin collection. Maybe they don't want to let council
bin-men into secure sites.

Old July 4th 14, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/07/2014 14:02, Basil Jet wrote:
Although I never thought about it, I just assumed that LU used the
council's bin-men like everyone else. Why do they have their own? If
it's for cost reasons, that suggests that councils are seriously
overcharging for bin collection. Maybe they don't want to let council
bin-men into secure sites.

Surprised you've only just noticed!

Can't explain why, though your hypothesis sounds as good a reason as
any. (Otherwise it wouldn't just be councils that could do the job, but
any of the plethora of private refuse companies contracted by businesses.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/2967260838
Old July 4th 14, 02:58 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 14:02:06 on
Fri, 4 Jul 2014, Basil Jet remarked:
Although I never thought about it, I just assumed that LU used the
council's bin-men like everyone else. Why do they have their own? If
it's for cost reasons, that suggests that councils are seriously
overcharging for bin collection. Maybe they don't want to let council
bin-men into secure sites.

The council binmen normally only do residential property. Commercial
properties have to make their own arrangements, and I don't know to what
extent councils would bid for that business; or if that's more or less
likely inside London compared to the provinces. Where I live in the
provinces it's clear that sundry private companies are doing the
commercial collections.

While I somewhat agree that businesses shouldn't have their rubbish
collection bundled free in with their business rates, it does seem to me
to be very un-green to have numerous private bin-emptying companies
running around the country with quite big gaps between their depots and
the customers they are collecting from.
Old July 4th 14, 03:15 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On 04/07/2014 14:41, Mizter T wrote:

On 04/07/2014 14:02, Basil Jet wrote:
Although I never thought about it, I just assumed that LU used the
council's bin-men like everyone else. Why do they have their own? If
it's for cost reasons, that suggests that councils are seriously
overcharging for bin collection. Maybe they don't want to let council
bin-men into secure sites.

Surprised you've only just noticed!

Can't explain why, though your hypothesis sounds as good a reason as
any. (Otherwise it wouldn't just be councils that could do the job, but
any of the plethora of private refuse companies contracted by businesses.)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/24772733@N05/2967260838

I think that you're wrong to suggest that that "they have their own", BJ.

For some years our local LU station has had vans, trucks etc. outside
regularly - all plated "XXXX working with TfL" or the like - three this
morning.

I guess it is like other organisations - NHS etc. - contracting out to
get cheap, simple to turn on and to turn off, labour.

Not that one sees much of a sweat being worked up.

PA