Old November 27th 14, 08:07 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard Richard is offline

Default Overground speed - or lack thereof

On Thu, 27 Nov 2014 09:06:11 +0000, Neil Williams

On 2014-11-26 18:32:41 +0000, said:

I presume that is why the PIS on some 377s says which coach one is in.

Yes, it's been modified to do that, which is why you get oddities like
the destination scrolling in the second row even where it doesn't need
to. Originally it was first line destination, second line scrolling
stopping points, no coach numbers.

Though it surprised me they didn't use the national standard of letters
rather than numbers.

Well, the "Southern Region" has always been different, hasn't it, with
an extremely long history of trains splitting and joining, and because
every announcement is and always has been in terms of numbers of
coaches (or even better, cars), I think it makes sense. If you have
been told "front 4 coaches" on the displays and announcements, the
best description once on the train would be "coach 3 of 8" to put your
mind at rest.

You'll be pleased to hear that the class 395 displays include a coach
letter, which is almost never mentioned, except perhaps by the guard's
announcement to help locate the tiolets. I've never been on a HS1
service that split, I suppose the back of the train becomes G-L.

I write "guard"... the timetable data shows the services as OPO, and I
noticed recently that as well as not opening the doors (I'm used to
SWT!), they don't seem to close them either. My follow-up question:
has a 395 ever run in service, driver only?

Richard.