Old March 11th 15, 08:57 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default London Bridge: 'Life threatening chaos'

"Tim Roll-Pickering" wrote:
Recliner wrote:

Notably the platforms themselves looked very empty unless they had a
train
in them and the system had declared its destination. There didn't seem to
be
any cases of people awaiting a train on the platform itself, either due
altered patterns or the info system adopting a "don't tell until the
driver
is in the outward cab" approach. Great for incoming passengers who don't
have to fight their way off the train itself but it just adds to the
scrum
to get to a train with only a few minutes' warning.

I think one reason for the latter is that the current low-level bay
platforms are quite narrow, so they don't want departing pax filling them
too soon. It can be a real scrum when a packed 12-car train arrives, and
there are departing pax waiting on the platform.

I can't say I took a tape measure with me but I didn't the platforms were
especially narrow apart from around the steps up to the bridge. At the
mainline terminuses I'm most used to at peak hours, Waterloo and Liverpool
Street, you often get people waiting on the platform itself and you can get
a turnaround. And London Bridge evening arrivals are not noticeably packed.

"Platforms 10 and 15 are narrowed to allow work to continue behind the
hoardings. It might take you longer to get off your train and pass through
the gates during the morning rush hour/morning peak."

From http://www.thameslinkprogramme.co.uk/london-bridge/