Old March 30th 15, 11:02 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default Updated London Crossrail 2 route protected

On 2015\03\30 10:59, Graeme Wall wrote:
On 30/03/2015 10:55, d wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 17:10:52 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
On 27/03/2015 13:04,
d wrote:
On Fri, 27 Mar 2015 10:34:37 +0000
Graeme Wall wrote:
Your small houses appear to be 2 blocks of 8 flats each and you still
end up the wrong side of the M1. Can't really see the great advantage
of extending to Copthall.

Not sure where you're looking but they're definately houses.

https://goo.gl/maps/PaOGs The block in the background is right on the
extended line from Mill Hill East.

Just because they're square doesn't mean they're flats. They're
houses. Though
looks like there are 4 in the way, not 2. Even so, still irrelevant in
the
scheme of things. Maybe a million or 2 to buy out compared to the cost
of the
extension which would probably run to 7 or 8 digits.

Still don't see what you would achieve by extending unless you could get
across the M1 to the main line.

This argument is cracking me up. I'm trying to picture the architects of
the M1 saying "We can't build a motorway from London to Leeds because
there are 37 railways in the way."

If there was demand for the Northern Line to go to Mill Hill Broadway, a
tunnel would be dug. Single would probably be enough, although you'd
want to redouble the surface part from Finchley Central to Copthall. But
the fact that they've never bothered putting an interchange by Colindeep
Lane where the Edgware branch crosses the Thameslink route makes me
query the business case for a Mill Hill interchange, even if a surface
alignment could be found and the existing bridges were double track.

Incidentally, I just realized how ironic it is that Belsize Park had
deep level shelters constructed beneath the Northern Line platforms,
when they could have dug two platform tunnels on the Thameslink line and
used them as shelters instead. Although, perhaps they wouldn't have been
deep enough for the purpose, and their construction would have probably
required several months of closure of two tracks on interrupted
operation of the Thameslink Line. Having said that, wouldn't
construction of the deep level tubes have caused settlement in the
Northern Line? Were speed restrictions imposed during their construction?