Old June 21st 15, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Recliner[_3_] Recliner[_3_] is offline

Default London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 21:03:03 +0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:31:34 on Sat, 20 Jun 2015,
" remarked:
I wonder if they employ trippers on that stretch or if they fit the
test trains with AWS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29110845

I've seen the tube trains under test at Old Dalby (last time I drove up
to the East Midlands a month ago). Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere
convenient for me to stop to take a photo.

The other odd thing about the line is the OHL a long way from any
electrified service lines. https://goo.gl/maps/Q70Uo

Swindon works had a short length of third rail at one time within a
caged compound, not long enough to run but for powering up some
Southern EMU's that were being worked on.

I think it's the only section of track, anywhere, with both fourth rail and
overhead electrification. I think that it's currently being used for both S
stock and IEP testing.

Anywhere is a big place, The Milan Metro whose line 1 is electrified
with a fourth rail almost like the LU ones has its track shared by
overhead powered trains which came later for other routes.
Both systems are DC so it is much simpler than the UK AC -DC Mix.

ICBW but wasn't one of the continental test tracks given a fourth rail
to test some tube stock? But it could have been on a circuit with no
overhead.

Which stock would that be? The only tube trains built outside the UK for a
very long time would be the extra Jubilee line 1996 stock, but I don't know
if that was put on an Italian test track. With such a small order (four
train sets and 59 trailer cars), I doubt that it was worth equipping an
Italian track with a fourth rail electrification system.

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2...ound-20030619/