Old June 21st 15, 09:59 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

Default London Tubes: Unexpected locations of underground trains

wrote:
On Sat, 20 Jun 2015 21:03:03 +0000 (UTC), Recliner
wrote:

Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at 17:31:34 on Sat, 20 Jun 2015,
" remarked:
I wonder if they employ trippers on that stretch or if they fit the
test trains with AWS.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-29110845

I've seen the tube trains under test at Old Dalby (last time I drove up
to the East Midlands a month ago). Unfortunately there wasn't anywhere
convenient for me to stop to take a photo.

The other odd thing about the line is the OHL a long way from any
electrified service lines. https://goo.gl/maps/Q70Uo

Swindon works had a short length of third rail at one time within a
caged compound, not long enough to run but for powering up some
Southern EMU's that were being worked on.

I think it's the only section of track, anywhere, with both fourth rail and
overhead electrification. I think that it's currently being used for both S
stock and IEP testing.

Anywhere is a big place, The Milan Metro whose line 1 is electrified
with a fourth rail almost like the LU ones has its track shared by
overhead powered trains which came later for other routes.
Both systems are DC so it is much simpler than the UK AC -DC Mix.

ICBW but wasn't one of the continental test tracks given a fourth rail
to test some tube stock? But it could have been on a circuit with no
overhead.

Which stock would that be? The only tube trains built outside the UK for a
very long time would be the extra Jubilee line 1996 stock, but I don't know
if that was put on an Italian test track. With such a small order (four
train sets and 59 trailer cars), I doubt that it was worth equipping an
Italian track with a fourth rail electrification system.

http://www.alstom.com/press-centre/2...ound-20030619/
Old June 21st 15, 11:38 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 09:59:33 +0000 (UTC), Recliner

wrote:

ICBW but wasn't one of the continental test tracks given a fourth rail
to test some tube stock? But it could have been on a circuit with no
overhead.

Which stock would that be? The only tube trains built outside the UK for a
very long time would be the extra Jubilee line 1996 stock

That was probably the stock I was thinking of but as I said ICBW ,
The suggestion by Arthur Figgis that the third rail laid at
Wildenrath was what seeded the idea is most likely.

but I don't know
if that was put on an Italian test track. With such a small order (four
train sets and 59 trailer cars), I doubt that it was worth equipping an
Italian track with a fourth rail electrification system.

Wasn't the stock both original and later build constructed in Spain?
Not sure if was actually built complete abroad or if it was bodies
fitted out later like the 95 stock.

The original orders were assembled by GEC-Alsthom in Washwood Heath (the
old Met Cam works). By the time of the top-up order, that plant had closed,
so they were built by Alstom, I thought in Savigliano, Italy, like the
extra Pendolino order. But maybe they were assembled in Spain and I was
getting confused with the Pendolino order?

Wherever it was can soon expect another top-up order for updated 95TS
trains for the Northern and Jubilee lines.
Old June 22nd 15, 08:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway

On Sun, 21 Jun 2015 23:38:18 +0000 (UTC)
Recliner wrote:
The original orders were assembled by GEC-Alsthom in Washwood Heath (the
old Met Cam works). By the time of the top-up order, that plant had closed,
so they were built by Alstom, I thought in Savigliano, Italy, like the
extra Pendolino order. But maybe they were assembled in Spain and I was
getting confused with the Pendolino order?

Wherever it was can soon expect another top-up order for updated 95TS
trains for the Northern and Jubilee lines.

I imagine a few new trains will be needed for the new battersea branch
on the northern, but why will the jubilee need new trains? The service
is pretty frequent already, I can't see how they'll squeeze any more trains
onto the line.

--
Spud