Old July 4th 15, 10:07 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Harrison Hill Harrison Hill is offline

Default Removing "the plough" from a London tram

On Friday, 3 July 2015 18:16:44 UTC+1, wrote:
In article ,
(Harrison Hill) wrote:

At places such as Lewisham, the Central London "plough" system of
underground electrical pick-up gave way to the familiar "overhead"
system. At that point "the plough" was disconnected, and went off
into a siding; the overhead pick-up was hooked to the overhead
cable, and the tram continued its journey.
I only know this because my father-in-law told me - he used to
watch it in Lewisham High Street - but there must be film of such
an interesting changeover; I'd love to watch it for myself. Does
anyone have a link. When I Google "tram" and "plough" this film
comes up. Doesn't look too safe to me LOL:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTjRUT98lvE

Look for "The Elephant Will Never Forget" a 1952 film about Last Tram Week.
About 1'20" in starts the bit about plough change pits.

The changeovers took place with the trams drawing power from the overhead so
the ploughs were not live.

Thanks. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rc9gtJndKE4