Old May 1st 04, 12:21 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard J. Richard J. is offline

Default fare evasion penalties

evan wrote:
Sorry if this is an FAQ.

My partner has just been summonsed for fare evasion, for an
incident in November last year. She was worried about something
important, got on an R-route bus near Cannon St through the middle
door & forgot to get her pre-pay ticket (one of the hexagonal ones)
validated by the driver. She was asked for her ticket, realised
that she'd forgotten, apologised, showed the inspector her pre-pay
voucher & offered to pay a penalty fare. He was perfectly polite
but wouldn't take this, & took her name & address.

The magistrates' court summons came today, almost 6 months after the
incident & she is very upset. It is totally unlike her - she really
is very honest & actually had bought a book of prepay tickets not
long before. She's no previous convictions for anything whatsoever.
And she really did have a lot on her mind that day.

A couple of people have frightened her about this & said she can
get a fine of up to £1000 & a criminal record - it's the criminal
record bit she is worried about. Is this likely? (as far as I can
tell it's possible, but that's not the same thing). Also, anyone
any idea what the fine on a first offence might be?

According to a London Buses press release of 19 March 2004, which
announced an increase in the Penalty Fare on buses from £5 to £10:
"During the last 12 months alone London Buses has brought over 7,000
prosecutions, and issued 39,000 penalties. The average payment incurred
by prosecution is £100".

I don't understand why this wasn't dealt with by imposing a £10 penalty
fare. I can only assume that they've had a lot of fare evasion on that
route, and wanted a few prosecutions as a deterrent.
--
Richard J.