Old December 15th 15, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Christmas shopping?

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
08:00:39 on Tue, 15 Dec 2015,
remarked:

The Ely underpass is one of the most bashed bridges in the country,
but doesn't have any sacrificial beams, or even any dangly things,
which are used at some locations. You couldn't really put more
signage before or on it either:
https://goo.gl/maps/YNrHVRr2ufA2

Indeed. Why, I wonder?

Undoubtedly because people don't understand what they are driving.
One of the first bridge bashes after I moved to Ely was a brand new
"White van" belonging to a very local tradesman, whose only excuse
was "the last white van I had fitted underneath".

Same with double-decker buses having the top sliced off elsewhere
quite regularly - the only possible excuse is that the driver had a
blank and thought he was driving a single decker.

No, no, no! By "why" I meant "why haven't NR or the County Council installed
any protection devices".

--
Colin Rosenstiel