Old December 15th 15, 06:40 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Christmas shopping?

In article , (Mizter T) wrote:

On 14/12/2015 20:08, Basil Jet wrote:

On 2015\12\14 19:38, Redoute wrote:
Am 14.12.2015 um 17:06 schrieb Basil Jet:

Presumably this one. 13'9" clearance on the South Circular Road.
You'd have to wonder how blind someone would have to be to hit that.

Oops...
https://goo.gl/maps/AE7Z3fJAGoH2

Holy crap, I couldn't work out what that was at first but what looks
like a tarpaulin hanging on the side is actually bulging steel from the
container which is caved in at the front. Great company name too...
"Logistic Planning Services". I don't think they planned this!

Indeed, it's a shipping container that's taken a hefty whack! The
whole side wall of the container appears to be at a slight angle too.

Coming from that direction, the lorry will have passed a height
activated warning sign too. I think there's a fair amount of advance
signage about this bridge too. I suppose the issue is that it is the
grandly named South Circular Road, and so perhaps lulls drivers
(particularly those familiar with the North Circular) into a false
sense of security, though it's not the only low bridge on the route.

Looking at Google Street View I can't see signs of height activated warning
signs further along the road and in the other direction the sign is far too
far past the detectors. Even the diversion signs are only temporary! Bizarre.

There are other low bridges on the South Circular, at East Putney station
for example. That also has advance height activated warning signs in one
direction, the approach from the west, but it is well ahead of the bridges.
https://goo.gl/maps/6E92R3W8DdQ2 shows the detector posts with the sign just
visible in the distance and the bridge some way beyond it, with left and
right turns available to avoid the bridge. And it's 15" too. Putting the
sign right by the bridge, far too late to turn, is taking the ****.

And why do the ****wits at Google fuzz out the height restriction signs in
some views?

--
Colin Rosenstiel

Old December 15th 15, 01:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article ,
() wrote:

And it's 15" too.

Oops! No it isn't. It's 15'.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old December 15th 15, 01:56 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , at 08:00:39
on Tue, 15 Dec 2015, remarked:

The Ely underpass is one of the most bashed bridges in the country,
but doesn't have any sacrificial beams, or even any dangly things,
which are used at some locations. You couldn't really put more
signage before or on it either:
https://goo.gl/maps/YNrHVRr2ufA2

Indeed. Why, I wonder?

Undoubtedly because people don't understand what they are driving. One
of the first bridge bashes after I moved to Ely was a brand new "White
van" belonging to a very local tradesman, whose only excuse was "the
last white van I had fitted underneath".

Same with double-decker buses having the top sliced off elsewhere quite
regularly - the only possible excuse is that the driver had a blank and
thought he was driving a single decker.
Old December 15th 15, 03:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , (Roland Perry)
wrote:

In message , at
08:00:39 on Tue, 15 Dec 2015,
remarked:

The Ely underpass is one of the most bashed bridges in the country,
but doesn't have any sacrificial beams, or even any dangly things,
which are used at some locations. You couldn't really put more
signage before or on it either:
https://goo.gl/maps/YNrHVRr2ufA2

Indeed. Why, I wonder?

Undoubtedly because people don't understand what they are driving.
One of the first bridge bashes after I moved to Ely was a brand new
"White van" belonging to a very local tradesman, whose only excuse
was "the last white van I had fitted underneath".

Same with double-decker buses having the top sliced off elsewhere
quite regularly - the only possible excuse is that the driver had a
blank and thought he was driving a single decker.

No, no, no! By "why" I meant "why haven't NR or the County Council installed
any protection devices".

--
Colin Rosenstiel