Old January 4th 16, 03:57 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london
Mark Brader Mark Brader is offline

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

At one time commuters off the GM mainline could continue to stations
to Farringdon.

Do you mean Moorgate?

IIRC Farringdon was the original limit of the Met.

Yes, but only for a period of just under 3 years, from January 1863
until December 1865. Through services of the GWR's own trains onto
the Met via Paddington ran from October 1863 until September 1939,
with some interruptions, so they originally ran to Farringdon St.
station (as it then was) and afterwards to Moorgate.

The Hammersmith & City Railway itself opened in June 1864, but it
only ever ran from Hammersmith as far as a junction with the GWR near
the present Westbourne Park station: its trains ran onto the GWR
to reach the Met, so this was also a service onto the Met from the
GWR mainline until the GWR separated it onto its own tracks in 1878.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I don't have *any* minions any more."
-- Clive Feather