Old January 3rd 16, 09:48 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

Default By London's Northern Line to Battersea

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 10:31:53 GMT, d wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:25:21 -0600
wrote:
In article ,

(e27002 aurora) wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 15:28:34 GMT,
d wrote:

The Beatles were just the first boy band with all the accompanying
hysteria. Once all the baby boomers have shuffled off this mortal coil
they'll justjust another name in the musical history books. I doubt many
people under the age of 60 actually listens to them on a regular basis.

[There's something odd about your newsreader. I got none of the above text
in this post, just the headers which is why I'm commenting to Aurora's
comment because his browser did pick up your content. I can't see the
content of your reply to this message of his either.]

Probably a problem with the aioe nttp server which went off air over the new
year. Another of my posts seems to have completely vanished into the ether.

You're totally wrong about the Beatles if my family is anything to go by. My
daughters (29 and 23) are and always have been as keen on Beatles music as I
am and now my granddaughter (9) is too.

There are always exceptions. But in general the people who listen to the
pop music (this doesn't apply to classical or rock) of a certain era are
people who grew up in that era so the majority of people who listen to 60s
pop music would have had their formative years in that decade.

The word "pop" as in popular implies lowest common denominator. If
you ever watch footage of the 1960s TOP performances, for the most
part these are not talented people.

That is not to say I do not have collection of modern CDs. My tastes
vary from Steely Dan, Gene Page, thru John Mayall and Miles Davis.

And, yes I am aware the trendy thing is to keep all ones music on a
hard drive. But, I like having the CDs.

Old January 3rd 16, 09:54 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , at 10:24:35 on
Sun, 3 Jan 2016, e27002 aurora remarked:

At one time commuters off the GM mainline could continue to stations
to Farringdon.

Do you mean Moorgate?

They still can, by changing trains at Farringdon.
Old January 3rd 16, 11:31 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

On Sun, 3 Jan 2016 10:54:09 +0000, Roland Perry
wrote:

In message , at 10:24:35 on
Sun, 3 Jan 2016, e27002 aurora remarked:

At one time commuters off the GM mainline could continue to stations
to Farringdon.

Do you mean Moorgate?

They still can, by changing trains at Farringdon.

IIRC Farringdon was the original limit of the Met.

One can no longer take a train from say Acton Main Line to Great
Portland St (Portland Rd as was).
Old January 3rd 16, 11:33 AM posted to uk.transport.london,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.railway

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 11:00:33 GMT, d wrote:

On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 10:48:35 +0000
e27002 aurora wrote:
On Sun, 03 Jan 2016 10:31:53 GMT,
d wrote:
There are always exceptions. But in general the people who listen to the
pop music (this doesn't apply to classical or rock) of a certain era are
people who grew up in that era so the majority of people who listen to 60s
pop music would have had their formative years in that decade.

The word "pop" as in popular implies lowest common denominator. If
you ever watch footage of the 1960s TOP performances, for the most
part these are not talented people.

TBH I don't consider the Beatles particularly talented. To me it just sounds
like a lot of whiny nasal vocals and guitar twanging. But then that sums up
60s pop music in general for this 80s kid.

If you have ever seen black and white footage of a performance from
the "She Loves You" days, Ringo displays and a complete lack of
talent.

He did improve. How could he do otherwise?

And, yes I am aware the trendy thing is to keep all ones music on a
hard drive. But, I like having the CDs.

I still have most of my CDs but these days I just stream off youtube. I have
no idea why people pay for streaming services when its all free.

Old January 3rd 16, 03:34 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In article , d
() wrote:

On Sat, 02 Jan 2016 10:25:21 -0600
wrote:
In article ,

(e27002 aurora) wrote:

On Fri, 01 Jan 2016 15:28:34 GMT,
d wrote:

The Beatles were just the first boy band with all the accompanying
hysteria. Once all the baby boomers have shuffled off this mortal coil
they'll justjust another name in the musical history books. I doubt
many people under the age of 60 actually listens to them on a regular
basis.

[There's something odd about your newsreader. I got none of the above
text in this post, just the headers which is why I'm commenting to
Aurora's comment because his browser did pick up your content. I can't
see the content of your reply to this message of his either.]

Probably a problem with the aioe nttp server which went off air over the
new year. Another of my posts seems to have completely vanished into the
ether.

Why would that get the headers through but not the body text? And the body
was still visible to some in this newsgroup. Whatever, the problem seems to
have at least partly gone away now (there's another of your posts down
thread where I only have the headers).

You're totally wrong about the Beatles if my family is anything to go by.
My daughters (29 and 23) are and always have been as keen on Beatles
music as I am and now my granddaughter (9) is too.

There are always exceptions. But in general the people who listen to
the pop music (this doesn't apply to classical or rock) of a certain
era are people who grew up in that era so the majority of people who
listen to 60s pop music would have had their formative years in that
decade.

My point was that there are exceptions and the Beatles are a big one.

--
Colin Rosenstiel
Old January 4th 16, 03:57 AM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

At one time commuters off the GM mainline could continue to stations
to Farringdon.

Do you mean Moorgate?

IIRC Farringdon was the original limit of the Met.

Yes, but only for a period of just under 3 years, from January 1863
until December 1865. Through services of the GWR's own trains onto
the Met via Paddington ran from October 1863 until September 1939,
with some interruptions, so they originally ran to Farringdon St.
station (as it then was) and afterwards to Moorgate.

The Hammersmith & City Railway itself opened in June 1864, but it
only ever ran from Hammersmith as far as a junction with the GWR near
the present Westbourne Park station: its trains ran onto the GWR
to reach the Met, so this was also a service onto the Met from the
GWR mainline until the GWR separated it onto its own tracks in 1878.
--
Mark Brader, Toronto "I don't have *any* minions any more."
-- Clive Feather

Old January 8th 16, 08:32 PM posted to uk.railway,misc.transport.urban-transit,uk.transport.london

In message , e27002 aurora
wrote:
However, I would point out:
At one time commuters off the GM mainline could continue to stations
to Farringdon.

Ceased late 1939; i.e. 76 years ago. So I doubt anyone is still missing
it.

Later, they could do the same by crossing a platform at Paddington.
Now this is lost.

It was lost on 12th November 1967; i.e. 48 years ago. (The new layout
was installed during the week 12th-19th.) So I doubt anyone is still
missing it.

Likewise someone wishing to travel between Ladbroke Grove to Southall
could change at Westbourne Park.

Closed March 1992; i.e. almost 24 years ago. Again, I doubt anyone is
still missing it.

Now the traveller has to go thru
Paddington.

True, though I doubt there is a huge suppressed demand.

--
Clive D.W. Feather | Home:
Mobile: +44 7973 377646 | Web: http://www.davros.org