Old March 3rd 16, 02:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default Spoilt by choice - connections

On 2016\03\03 13:14, eastender wrote:
"The Paris system has 78 such choice points. The New York subway, the
most complex in the world, has 161. New York's system is so sprawling
and interconnected, Barthelemy and colleagues Riccardo Gallotti and
Mason Porter concluded in a recent analysis, that it approaches the
maximum complexity our human minds can handle, the equivalent of about 8
bits of information."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...he-human-mind/

Thanks for posting, but...

That may be the most inaccurate meaningless pseudo-intellectual tosh
about transit I've ever heard. Planning a journey involves global
problems and local problems and the map has to be designed to help you
with both. There is no way the ability to do this can be ascertained
from a single numeral that doesn't even pertain to the map design. And
as a simple proof, imagine a city in a valley with one main line down
the middle and a thousand rack railways perpendicular to the mainline.
Lots of junctions, no complexity. Even if adjacent rack railways met at
their high points, so the mainline had triangles all down either side,
still zero problem navigating.

This map has fewer interchanges than the standard tube map because the
DLR and Overground are missing, but it's far harder to plan a journey on
it (and not just because they've screwed up Edgware Road.)
https://www.flickr.com/photos/fdansv...n/photostream/