Old July 21st 03, 01:05 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Acrosticus Acrosticus is offline

Default Another "Crapita" CC screw up

According to today's "Guardian":

http://www.guardian.co.uk/guardianpo...002177,00.html

"In a serious breakdown in enforcement of the £5-a-day charging scheme, Capita
has admitted it failed to process nearly 1,600 cheques from drivers who had
paid penalty charges after being caught on camera inside the zone.
Half of the drivers received letters demanding sums of up to £120 for late
payment. They were told that unless they paid, they risked action from bailiffs
and court proceedings. The threats prompted 450 people to pay again - money
which Capita has been forced to refund."

Over 25% of those asked to pay the fine again did! I can't believe it. But if
details of this hadn't been uncovered, I wonder what "Crapita" would have done
with the extra money?