Old June 29th 16, 12:42 PM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
D A Stocks[_2_] D A Stocks[_2_] is offline

Default Four-rail tracks?

"Recliner" wrote in message
news
I took a ride on the Greenford-Paddington shuttle yesterday, in the
light of its imminent truncation to West Ealing, and noticed some
newish four-rail track between Drayton Green and West Ealing
junctions. All four rails were firmly clipped to the concrete
sleepers. I've not noticed it before -- does anyone know why it's
used?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...7667614586524/

More pictures in
https://www.flickr.com/photos/reclin...57667614586524

You tend to see track like that on high viaducts, or anywhere else that a
derailed train would have an uncomfortable landing if it left the railway
altogether.

e.g. around 29:06 on this video dating from 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jl9wBpvu86U

You can see the same location, side by side in 1953 and 1983 at around 2:42
he
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E6Ll96VNuSc

--
DAS