Old May 15th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

Default Tube complaints - help with research

In message , Phil
Richards writes
On 14 May 2004 06:01:07 -0700 Tim Wild said...

I'm an author currently working on a book about bad jobs for a UK
publisher. It occurred to me that working in the complaints department
for the tube might well be up there with some of the most awful jobs
available.

Personally I'd say Underground staff on the front line have it much
harder, abuse both verbal and physical on station assistants is quite
common I believe. Those working in customer service offices are no doubt
trained in handling complaints verbally and at least can come to work at
the start of the day knowing they won't get punched or spat on for
example.

Indeed!
Being front-line is worlds apart from dealing with customers from the
end of a phone-line but then, I think the satisfaction from dealing with
people's problems (and complaints) face to face is greater too.
As a station assistant, you're expected to be a social-worker, nurse,
tour-guide and font of all human knowledge (often at the same time) but
if you like people in all their complexity, it's the best job in the
world.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.