Old May 14th 04, 01:01 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Tube complaints - help with research

Hi - I apologise for breaking into your thread - I'm not a regular
contributor.

I'm an author currently working on a book about bad jobs for a UK
publisher. It occurred to me that working in the complaints department
for the tube might well be up there with some of the most awful jobs
available. If anyone on this thread knows how the complaints system
works, where it is based or even ( a long shot I know) knows anyone
who works there, I'd be very interested to hear from you. I guarantee
anonymity to all my contributors - if anyone out there can help please
do contact me offlist.

I hope I haven't offended any regular posters with my query - if so I
apologise. Many thanks for your help.

Tim Wild

Old May 14th 04, 08:36 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Tim Wild wrote:
Hi - I apologise for breaking into your thread - I'm not a regular
contributor.

No need to apologise. You have in fact started a new "thread" in our
newsgroup. Welcome!

I'm an author currently working on a book about bad jobs for a UK
publisher. It occurred to me that working in the complaints
department for the tube might well be up there with some of the
most awful jobs available.

Not necessarily. I have no inside experience of LU's customer service
department (I'm just one of their customers!), but I have worked for an
IT company which was pretty unpopular at one time in the consumer
marketplace. The opportunity to absorb customers' anger sympathetically
and explain to them why their service went pear-shaped can actually be
quite fulfilling, especially if the customer thanks you at the end of
the phone call. It's also good to be able to report issues back to
management, and feel that you have helped contribute to better service.

Perhaps some LU people can tell us if this is true of their job.
--
Richard J.

Old May 15th 04, 07:50 AM posted to uk.transport.london

On 14 May 2004 06:01:07 -0700 Tim Wild said...

I'm an author currently working on a book about bad jobs for a UK
publisher. It occurred to me that working in the complaints department
for the tube might well be up there with some of the most awful jobs
available.

Personally I'd say Underground staff on the front line have it much
harder, abuse both verbal and physical on station assistants is quite
common I believe. Those working in customer service offices are no doubt
trained in handling complaints verbally and at least can come to work at
the start of the day knowing they won't get punched or spat on for
example.

--
Phil Richards
London, N4
Old May 15th 04, 10:17 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Kat Kat is offline

In message , Phil
Richards writes
On 14 May 2004 06:01:07 -0700 Tim Wild said...

I'm an author currently working on a book about bad jobs for a UK
publisher. It occurred to me that working in the complaints department
for the tube might well be up there with some of the most awful jobs
available.

Personally I'd say Underground staff on the front line have it much
harder, abuse both verbal and physical on station assistants is quite
common I believe. Those working in customer service offices are no doubt
trained in handling complaints verbally and at least can come to work at
the start of the day knowing they won't get punched or spat on for
example.

Indeed!
Being front-line is worlds apart from dealing with customers from the
end of a phone-line but then, I think the satisfaction from dealing with
people's problems (and complaints) face to face is greater too.
As a station assistant, you're expected to be a social-worker, nurse,
tour-guide and font of all human knowledge (often at the same time) but
if you like people in all their complexity, it's the best job in the
world.
--
Kat Me, Ambivalent? Well, yes and no.