Old May 19th 04, 02:41 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Bob Watt Bob Watt is offline

Default Hoboken Terminal

On 26/04/2004 20:08, in article
, "Stephen Furley"
wrote:

Bob, I am in New York at the moment, I had a look at Hoboken Terminal
yesterday afternoon. There is one model still there, I'm not sure
which RR company it was from, but it was dark red in colour. It is
rather difficult to see; there is a Hudson News outlet on the station
I don't know if it was there when you saw the models, but it has
entrances from both inside the waiting room, and outsine, on the
station concourse. The model I saw was on top of the part inside the
waiting room, and difficult to see, unless you are standing in just
the right place. It was almost certainly there before, but I just
didn't notice it. I don't know where the other one is, I can't see it
anywhere.

I've just been looking at some old copies of 'Trains' magazine; the August
1998 issue has a long article about NJT, with a photograph of the interior
of Hoboken Terminal. From this I can see that, if you stand in the middle
of the waiting room facing the Hudson News outlet, and then turn 90 degrees
right, you will be facing the wall with the ticket windows, and in the
centre of that wall is a large archway which, IIRC, is the entrance from the
street. I think one of the locomotive models was above that archway, but
the photograph shows something rather like a Solari indicator where the
model used to be.

I also think the other model was in the wall opposite the street entrance,
so it sounds as if both have been moved, and space was found for one over
the Hudson News outlet (the photo is way too dark to detect a model in that
position). I hope the other one is safely stored somewhere.