Old June 28th 17, 04:08 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default Are any of the new Crossrail platforms curved?

On 2017\06\28 16:41, Recliner wrote:
Basil Jet wrote:
On 2017\06\28 15:19, Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 14:54:28 +0100, "
wrote:

On 28.06.17 12:35, Recliner wrote:
On Wed, 28 Jun 2017 02:36:36 +0100, Basil Jet
wrote:

TCR looks curved to me.

https://youtu.be/9Mw0jCGl_HQ?t=1m24s

No, they're straight:

http://www.constructionenquirer.com/wp-content/uploads/8-Crossrail-Tottenham-Court-Road-3D-1.jpg

http://www.dr-sauer.com/files/drsauer/public/content/file/360/upload/222c-tcsup-002-full.png

I thought that the platforms would be straight as, IIRC, current
legislation stipulates only straight platforms.

Plus, it's a given that HSE would probably have conniptions if they saw
a curved platform. So, even if it is legally possible to build a curved
platform, it would not surprise me if the engineers and designers
decided simply to build it straight in order to avoid any
"complications."

They obviously don't have to be ruler straight, but I assume there are
rules for what (large) radius is allowed. You certainly wouldn't be
allowed to build anything like the Central Line Bank platforms today.

I don't think the rules have changed since Canada Water East London Line
platforms were built, and IIRC that is on a fair slope, so the rules can
be broken if TPTB feel like it.

Yes, I suppose they just have to seek a derogation, which is more likely to
be granted when adding things to an old line than when building an all-new
one.

.... although a new line weaved between the deep pile foundations of
London might be subject to more expensive geometrical constraints than a
new platform on an old line! Remember that Crossrail 2 was going to have
a station at Piccadilly Circus when it was tube gauge, but when they
went for mainline gauge there was no room for the platform tunnels.