Old August 3rd 17, 06:44 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default New York Times on Crossrail

In message , at 20:27:13 on
Wed, 2 Aug 2017, Recliner remarked:

1. SPILL to Bedford. Already electrified, but only designed for 100mph
trains. There was a project to upgrade it for more, faster trains, but I
don't know if that project will continue. If it doesn't, IEPs will have
good acceleration, but lower top speeds than the old diesels.

But IEPs aren't expected on that line.

Aren't they...

No, all the ones on order are spoken for by VTEC and GWR.

2. Bedford to Kettering. Newly electrified,

Is it, already?

Not completed, but intended to be.

We are talking about NR and Grayling here. The only thing you can
reasonably expect is that whatever they claim today may change tomorrow.

suitable for 125 mph electric
or diesel trains. IEPs will outperform the existing diesels.

3. Kettering to Leicester and on to Derby, Nottingham and Sheffield.
Electrification work started,

Just a few bridge works.

but work will be suspended indefinitely. Bi-mode IEPs will be able to
run, but performance will be worse than current diesel trains,
specially the Meridians.

So keep the Meridians.

Yes, but not the HSTs.

There's only one tph (to Nottingham) operated by HSTs, and now
electrification has been cancelled they'll have to find something else
to replace the HST. But I doubt it'll be IEPs.