Old August 31st 17, 07:22 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Richard[_3_] Richard[_3_] is offline

Default Oyster changes/improvements

On Tue, 29 Aug 2017 08:52:31 +0100, Roland Perry
wrote:

[French because...]
Probably because it's the language of the diplomatic community, and of
other educated professionals worldwide, and thus a throwback to when
most people staying on at school long enough to be studying any
languages at all, would have a plausible need for it.

There is something about that language that I love, although it could
be entirely conditioning and early access to it. Languages - any -
are IMO a good thing whether useful or not. Learning for personal
development and pleasure, if languages are your thing, of course.

Our physical proximity to France is a co-incidence.

I think people should know something of their neighbours' language(s),
to find out something about the culture. Having their TV channels
would be a start, something that Belgium and the Netherlands learned.
I suppose cable helped there.

I agree that today Spanish is likely to be more useful for a tourist.

But to make one's way in the world of business the language one really
does need to be proficient in, is English as a Foreign Language - being
able to speak with a simplified vocabulary that you adapt in real time
to your audience, and an ear for strong accents.

That's very true. The ability to adjust to the other person's accent
and apparent % comprehension without losing the plot or sounding
patronising is a real skill.

Richard.