Old June 1st 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Terry Paul Terry is offline

Default Mystery station

In message , Marratxi
writes

I have some old OS maps of London and on one of them there is what looks
like a terminus station a little way outside Fenchurch Street and to the
north of the existing line. I have a huge old Geographia map of London from
the same era which is excellent for showing railways and this identifies the
station as a "goods stn" and it is located to the south of Commercial Road.
Could somebody please provide more information ?

There were numerous good depots just north of the Fenchurch Street line
as it approached its terminus, but it sounds like this was the
Commercial Road Goods Station. Opened by the London, Tilbury and
Southend Railway, 17 April 1886, closed 3 July 1967. Built on an
impressive scale to take goods brought by rail from Tilbury Docks
(opened same day) - although the actual traffic turned out to be far
less than expected.

Information from J. E. Connor's excellent "Stepney's Own Railway".

--
Paul Terry