Old June 1st 04, 08:23 AM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Mystery station

I have some old OS maps of London and on one of them there is what looks
like a terminus station a little way outside Fenchurch Street and to the
north of the existing line. I have a huge old Geographia map of London from
the same era which is excellent for showing railways and this identifies the
station as a "goods stn" and it is located to the south of Commercial Road.
Could somebody please provide more information ?
TIA
Baz

Old June 1st 04, 09:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Marratxi
writes

I have some old OS maps of London and on one of them there is what looks
like a terminus station a little way outside Fenchurch Street and to the
north of the existing line. I have a huge old Geographia map of London from
the same era which is excellent for showing railways and this identifies the
station as a "goods stn" and it is located to the south of Commercial Road.
Could somebody please provide more information ?

There were numerous good depots just north of the Fenchurch Street line
as it approached its terminus, but it sounds like this was the
Commercial Road Goods Station. Opened by the London, Tilbury and
Southend Railway, 17 April 1886, closed 3 July 1967. Built on an
impressive scale to take goods brought by rail from Tilbury Docks
(opened same day) - although the actual traffic turned out to be far
less than expected.

Information from J. E. Connor's excellent "Stepney's Own Railway".

--
Paul Terry
Old June 1st 04, 09:42 AM posted to uk.transport.london

This was a goods depot known locally as "The Tilbury" which was
demolished in the 70's. I don't know when exactly but it was still
operating in 1972. For an anecdote concerning it see
http://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/MOL...member/door_to
_salvation.htm

Don't know how to make a shorther link but the page is still there, so a
cut and paste job may be necessary
Old June 1st 04, 10:25 AM posted to uk.transport.london

"Jim Brittin" [wake up for reply] wrote in
message m...

Don't know how to make a shorther link but the page is still there, so a
cut and paste job may be necessary

FYI, try www.makeashorterlink.com or www.tinyurl.com.

HTH

Old June 1st 04, 06:52 PM posted to uk.transport.london

In message , Reg Nullify
writes

Interesting, any idea where the exact location of 'the Tilbury' would be
located now?

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.sr...=534250,181250

i.e. immediately to the west of Gowers Walk.

--
Paul Terry
Old June 1st 04, 10:06 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Once upon a time -- around about 6/1/04 05:42 --
[wake up for reply] possibly wrote:

Don't know how to make a shorther link but the page is still there, so a
cut and paste job may be necessary

www.tinyurl.com will turn any huge URL into a small URL

-- E

--
George W Bush Bumper Stickers:
"Why should I care what the American people think? They didn't vote for me."