Old September 14th 17, 06:08 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Roland Perry Roland Perry is offline

Default Hopper fare and two journeys lasting more than an hour

In message , at 21:29:45 on
Wed, 13 Sep 2017, Recliner remarked:

Section 6.8.6 says "If you make a journey using pay as you go on a bus
or tram, you can make a second bus or tram journey for free within one
hour of first touching in." As has been noted already, that is
ambiguous.

I don't find it ambiguous at all. To me, it's perfectly clear that it
means your second touch-in will be free if it's within 60 minutes of
the first.

Yes, because I can easily conclude they are (from the public perspective
anyway) falling between two stools of dumbing-down and using internal
jargon.

Thus the public might feel that a more accurate clause was:

"If you COMPLETE ONE journey using pay as you go on a bus or
tram, you can START a second bus or tram journey for free within
one hour of first touching in."

But the author sees:

"If you MAKE A TOUCH-IN using pay as you go on a bus or tram,
you can MAKE a second bus or tram TOUCH-IN for free within one
hour of first touching in."

There's another kind of "make" jargon in the Fire Brigade. By default
they send two pumps, but the officer in charge can radio in "Make pumps
four". Which doesn't mean "please place an order with the manufacturer
to make four more pumps", but "make THE NUMBER OF pumps HERE INCREASE TO
four".