Old November 16th 17, 10:38 AM posted to uk.transport.london
Basil Jet[_4_] Basil Jet[_4_] is offline

Default Croydon

On 2017\11\16 09:27, tim... wrote:

"Basil Jet" wrote in message
news
On 2017\11\15 16:55, wrote:
On Wednesday, 15 November 2017 09:10:07 UTC, Basil JetĀ* wrote:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Croydo...#Train_Station

The page also talks about lengthening tram platforms at West Croydon,
although I couldn't quite find enough info to make sense of that. I
would have imagined that all the tram platforms are the same length,
and
there would be no point in lengthening one unless you lengthen them
all.

It's actually East Croydon where they propose lengthening the
platforms to accommodate four car trams, not West Croydon.

So are they saying that two trams per direction would dwell
simultaneously there, rather than there being "four car trams"?

you write that like there's some reason that would be a dumb operational
procedure

Not at all. I just think the page is a mess. At West Croydon,
"straightening tram tracks will allow for the usage of three car trams"
and at East Croydon "the tram stop outside the station is to be extended
to accommodate four car trams".

Lengthening the EC stop for multiple trams is not ideal anyway, because
the trams in both directions have multiple branches after only two
stops, so pretty much every waiting passenger will have to cluster at
the centre of the stop because they won't know in advance if their tram
will stop on the back or the front. I suspect the extended dwells are
from the east in the morning and to the east in the evening, in which
case two islands with a tidal central track might work better. (Quick
Google) Oh, they've already got three tracks there.