Old June 8th 04, 04:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Phil Kitchen Phil Kitchen is offline

Default Old odour or imagination?

"Henry" wrote in message
Yesterday coming from Victoria to Horsham, I went through one of the

tunnels
just north of Redhill while the train windows were open.

I noticed what seemed to be the smell of either coal or soot.

Could it really have lasted all those years since steam finished, or was I
imagining it?

When was the last regular steam service on that line?

There are quite a few steam excursions on that line this year. Mainly the
VSOE lunch trains, but also some more by Hertfordshire Rail Tours.