Old June 7th 04, 02:30 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Default Old odour or imagination?

Yesterday coming from Victoria to Horsham, I went through one of the tunnels
just north of Redhill while the train windows were open.

I noticed what seemed to be the smell of either coal or soot.

Could it really have lasted all those years since steam finished, or was I
imagining it?

When was the last regular steam service on that line?

Old June 7th 04, 02:54 PM posted to uk.transport.london

On Mon, 7 Jun 2004 at 14:30:20, Henry wrote:

Yesterday coming from Victoria to Horsham, I went through one of the tunnels
just north of Redhill while the train windows were open.

I noticed what seemed to be the smell of either coal or soot.

Could it really have lasted all those years since steam finished, or was I
imagining it?

When was the last regular steam service on that line?

Regular, at least 50 years ago. But they do sometimes run steam
specials, even today, so perhaps that is what you smelt?
--
Annabel Smyth
Website updated 6 June 2004
Old June 8th 04, 05:37 PM posted to uk.transport.london

"Henry" wrote in message
Yesterday coming from Victoria to Horsham, I went through one of the

tunnels
just north of Redhill while the train windows were open.

I noticed what seemed to be the smell of either coal or soot.

Could it really have lasted all those years since steam finished, or was I
imagining it?

When was the last regular steam service on that line?

There are quite a few steam excursions on that line this year. Mainly the
VSOE lunch trains, but also some more by Hertfordshire Rail Tours.

Old June 8th 04, 09:00 PM posted to uk.transport.london

Similarly, I used the East London Line last month,
after a 15-year gap.

There was this very distinctive smell in the trains
which I have only ever smelled on that line (when they were
using D78 stock for a while). Is it cleaning material ?

Would they be using the same product after 15 years ?
Why have I not seen it on any other line/train ?

Richard [in PO7]

Old LT Garages Nick Hewitt London Transport 28 March 26th 12 11:41 AM
South Harrow old station John Rowland London Transport 4 September 19th 03 02:02 PM
New Purpose found for old Aldwych Branch Cast_Iron London Transport 2 July 24th 03 11:11 AM
New Purpose found for old Aldwych Branch [email protected] London Transport 0 July 23rd 03 04:35 PM
New Purpose found for old Aldwych Branch Richard J. London Transport 0 July 23rd 03 03:50 PM