Old April 9th 21, 12:36 AM posted to uk.transport.london,uk.railway
Marland Marland is offline

Default LO lines to be named

NY wrote:
"Graeme Wall" wrote in message
Reading buses go in for different liveries for different routes.

Some said that at one time the York Park&Ride buses used have different
liveries for the different routes, depending on which P&R car-park they went
to/from. But by the time I used them, they were a standard livery - the same
as the non-P&R buses (*) - and distinguished only by the LED display with
the number and the route name (I think it alternated between the colour-name
of the route and the name of the car-park).

What is always amusing is if a bus company has temporarily borrowed a few
buses from another company: there's something a bit weird getting on a bus
in York which has bus-company or place-of-interest adverts for Sheffield or
Leeds. I think the furthest afield was one that was from the Exeter area.
That's a hell of a long way to transport a bus that you've borrowed ;-)

Quite a long time ago now after the break up and privatisation of the
National Bus Company one
of the smaller operations created was the North Devon operation branded as
Red Bus, an unusual
colour for the area which had long been a bastion of Southern and Western
National green.
Till they were repainted the buses as well as having the name Red Bus
applied on a white patch carried labels stating “This is now a Red Bus”
which at least gave the new operation a little publicity in the area,
however sometime later I saw one of the vehicles still in green either
transferred or loaned
to Hampshire bus on an Andover to Basingstoke service still carrying
adverts for Devon businesses
and also the “This is now a Red Bus” stickers. Gawd knows many
stereotype opinions of people in the Southwest being country bumpkins were
reinforced in observers.

Going further back than I can remember during WW2 Bournemouth Corporation
Trolleybuses
were loaned to London Transport and their Primrose Yellow livery must have
made quite a contrast to the usual in Ilford where they were based as with
less seats than London Trolleys that area was quieter.
They returned home when a batch of trolleys destined for South Africa were
allocated to London , this required a change in UK construction and rules
as they were 6 inches wider than and heavier than what was allowed on UK
buses at the time they also went to Ilford as it was felt the streets were
generally wider than those of central London , The change was permanent and
post war buses were wider than their older brethren so drivers soon had to
cope everywhere.

The South Africans got a new batch postwar and London held onto the
originals,they were regarded as quite luxurious as they retained tinted and
opening windows for a climate they never saw though once it was obvious
they were never going the front entrance doors temporarily covered were
removed fully.

The South African design influenced the Londons last batch of Trolleys post
war the Q1 model which apart from minor details was also used by Glasgow
and Newcastle.

GH