Old July 5th 04, 06:27 PM posted to uk.transport.london
Paul Corfield Paul Corfield is offline

Default Leicester Square Station

On Sun, 04 Jul 2004 19:58:33 GMT, "DJ" wrote:

The current refurbishment of Leicester Square station has completely
transformed it - the station is now much more pleasant and can only help in
improving the Underground's image. Was this refurbishment triggered by LUL
or by the Infraco? If the latter, is this the type of station modernisation
that all stations are due to receive within the next few years?

I hate to tell you this but it isn't a refurbishment. It is actually two
projects - one to deal with the low level corridors or open sewers as
they were. The second was to the deal with the escalator shafts. Both
were initiated by LU and taken on by the Infraco as part of transferred
obligations. As I use the station every day I agree it is an improvement
but the tide marks do show and the water ingress has not really been
properly resolved - look at the stain marks on the staircases.

The scaffolding is to prop up the canopy that a lorry drove into. This
work has been approved (for building consent) by Westminster Council and
should happen soon but the canopy will be a bit smaller to reduce the
collision risk.

As for the platforms and ticket hall then that has to wait. There is a
proposal to enlarge the ticket hall and entrances at Leicester Square
but that will be a major scheme and depends on whether Uncle Ken gets a
wodge of cash from lovely old Gordon. I'm not sure when the PPP
specified refurb is due for Leicester Square.
--
Paul C