Old July 19th 04, 09:58 PM posted to uk.rec.cycling,uk.transport,uk.transport.london
Steph Peters Steph Peters is offline

Default Everything we know about traffic-calming is wrong

Michael MacClancy of wrote:
As with many things, the situation with Autobahn speed limits is not as
simple as it first seems.

There are many stretches of Autobahn with speed limits.

snip
This means that even where there is not a statutory speed limit on German
Autobahns personal liability and insurance considerations apply downward
pressure on the top speeds.

Another consideration is that Autobahn speed limits are perceived to be
actively enforced. One of my German friends was caught by a camera
exceeding a limit, fined and is apparently at risk of losing her licence for
a repeat offence. Everyone else's view on her being caught was that it is a
totally routine event and caused no surprise. In contrast, although I have
UK acquaintances who have been caught speeding, I can't remember any caught
on a motorway, although I know a lot more UK motorists than German ones.
--
If debugging is the process of removing bugs, then programming
must be the process of putting them in.